Another fun challenge, and the best of all – we got to play with different type of piping techniques. I have done a lot of (cake) piping but I have never used Russian piping tips, so I decided to try them for this soap challenge. I chose to do roses with two different rose nozzels. I also used a smal leaf nozzel and a tiny calligraphy nozzel. The idea was to make a «basket» and fill it with roses. I guess I got carryed away with the flowers, and leaf – well, I had to use all the soap in my pipingbags, or….?
I used a knitting needle to bend the rose petals so they wouldn’t all look the same.
This is my first attempt at soap piping and I must say I enjoyed «slow soaping» for a change.
I used my standard soap recipe and added some beeswax. Soaping at 38 degrees celcius to thick trace, then poured the soap in my pipingbag and put them to rest for aprox one hour. As recomended I didn’t use any fragrance in the flowers. The «basket» is scented with BB’s Black Amber And Lavender FO.
It’s been a while since my last soap challenge so I’m really happy to participate this month, and most of all – this is a great technique witch I will be using in my future soapmaking – and of course, I will practise some more….
I took a chance and used my usual oil recipes for this soap, althoug it’s a bit heavy on the hard oils! I was soaping at low temperature, 35 degrees Celsius, and hand stirring for aprox 30-35 minutes. With no experience with this metod of soapmaking, I took «the spoon test» to see if the oils/lye/water had reached the point of emulsion. This was a bit out of my comfortzone, working without my stickblender, but I think this way of making soap is a really nice way to work – thumbs up & thanks for the opportunity in this challenge 👍🏼
I managed to keep a light trace during the whole prosess and the soap was wrapped and OP for an hour and then left «to sleep»over night. The FO is just beautiful and acted well during the whole prosess. As you can see the gold mica «got into» some of the browne parts – but, overall I’m happy with the result!
Here is my entry:
This is my first soap, all natural colored with Bamboo Charcoal/Indigo and a EO blend of citrus too keep the trace under control! My rehearsal soap was so pretty, but the next one… What happend with the Indigo, it turned out browne and then slightly green….?
Time and supplies was not on my side this month. As mentioned earlier, it’s a challenge in it self to get needed supplies for these soap challenges, in Norway. Yesterday, one day before submission close I finally found castor oil… !! I was working until 4 this morning and barely made it…..
This is my 3rd attempt, so I guess it all comes up to make it or break without the Castor oil…..
Amy & Tatsiana, thank you for pouring of you knowledge, again. The great value of know-how is priceless so I hope you can feel my appreciation .
First of all, congrats to all winners of Amy Wardens Soap Challenge Club throughout 2015 – you guys really raise the bar every month! I also want to thank you for your kind comment and for your votes, I really appreciate it.
In desember I took the 2nd place with my Oriental Triangle, can you belive it? It’s such a great fun to have a soap in top 3, (or to win sponsors choise ). I have already seen someone making triangle soaps, inspired by my triangle. That makes me happy and I hope to see a lot of triangle soaps in the future too. I think it’s cool if I can inspire others with my work so feel free to ask if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer. For me this challenges is all about sharing, inspire and get inspired. I won with my Ebru Soap and got sponsors choise price with my Dessert Soap, so 2015 has been a great soap year for me – again, thank you!
The best wishes for 2016 – I’m looking forward to the challenges, be inspired and to see a lot of beautiful soaps in 2016.
The Soap Challenge Club is making soap using impression mat for Desember challenge. We get to choose either to make an impression mat or to use a premade one, and the focus is the texture created by the impression mat. As you probably can see I used a premade mat.
I’ve been thinking of making a triangle soap for awhile so this is a perfect oppertunity for doing that. A triangle represent the number 3 so I made three designs on three sides and I used three colors in this soap. Research for ideas led me to the Orient…..
This is my entry for this months soap challenge hosted by Amy Warden at Great Cake Soapwork.
Colors: cley and Preppy Blue mica from Mad Oils in the soap. Gold Sparkel mica from BB gave the swirls and some extra sparkle.
Fragrance: Arabian Spice FO from BB.
Mold: made of cardboard lined with cling film, baking paper and overhead sheeds
My soap: 50% Olive oil, 30% coconut oil, 10% Shea butter, 10% Cocoa butter. I poured at a thick trace with the impression mat in the mold.